Thursday, June 21, 2012

On The Bookshelf I

1- Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster: Recommended to me by Monica Tawfik. The tagline of this book is 'The Path to Spiritual Growth' and pastor Foster himself says this book was written to reintroduce modern Christians to the classic spiritual disciplines. He argues that these disciplines, such as...(submission, meditation, fasting & service), should be renewed and regularly practiced among Christians.  This book is really phenomenal. My favorite chapter is his treatise on the discipline of worship. I recommend reading that chapter asap, especially if you are involved in worship or music ministry in your church. Foster also has amazing and practical sections on the disciplines of solitude and prayer. What makes the book really enjoyable is the fact that Foster is very well-read.  He is constantly quoting dead theologians (if you are into that)!

2- The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges: Talk about a practical book. The only reason I'm taking it slow with this book is because it is messing with me. I've had to repent of something every time I read in it! I recommend this book for all Christians who are struggling with and desire personal holiness.  Jerry Bridges provides some practical ways to live out the following command for scripture: "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”(1 Peter 1:14-16)

3- Forgotten God by Francis Chan: I've wanted a good book to read on the Holy Spirit for a while and I have struggled to find one. I have found that many books I have looked at tend to display a particular denominational bias  instead of relying on scripture to inform the discussion about the Holy Spirit and his gifts. This one is different.  If you know anything about Francis Chan, he has a very high view of scripture.  In this book, he is very careful to draw on biblical truths, and he does a great job. This book has definitely challenged the way I think about, and interact with, the Holy Spirit. The book contains sections where he asks the reader to pause, read the word, pray and meditate. Such moments have been of great value to me, and are thoughtfully inserted in their proper places throughout the book. It's beneficial to anchor ourselves in the word as we learn from books, sermons and the like.  Chan also has a mini 'spirit-filled person' story in between each chapter.  These serve as practical examples of how real people are living out Spirit-filled lives.


4- No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green by Melody Green: This book was recommended to me by Justin Kendrick. I'm about a quarter of the way through, maybe a little less.  This is a big book!  Keith is still not a Christian, but, (spoiler alert!) I'm almost at his conversion (I think!). It's a fun book so far, especially if you are a musician.  As a fellow musician, I relate to a lot of the things that Melody writes about.


5- Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman: You can guess what this is about!   But it's more than just what the title suggests. It has many practical dating tips, and ideas that I can immediately employ as a single person involved in a dating relationship.  At the end of each section there are questions to ask to yourself and your dating partner, to measure compatibility, and to assist with working out things that may become issues later on. Chapman covers many topics including doing chores, fighting, parenting styles and future goals. I would say this book is definitely more enjoyable, as well as beneficial, if you read it with a serious dating partner. It's a great book for dating couples, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment