Saturday, December 1, 2012

How Can A Young Man Keep His Way Pure?

Last night at Youth Group we did Bible trivia. It was a lot of fun. At the end of the night there were 5 happy ones who had each won a $5 gift card to Starbucks. We played Swords Up and then another game which I made up - where I say the Bible verse and whoever gives me the reference wins (Book name is 1 point, Chapter number a 2nd point and Verse number a 3rd point). The big idea was to encourage them, and myself, to memorize more scripture.

There are many benefits to memorizing scripture, but I will only highlight one, using two verses from Psalm 119. Holiness.

How can a young man keep his way pure?
        By guarding it according to your word.
(Psalm 119:9 ESV)

I have stored up your word in my heart,
        that I might not sin against you.
(Psalm 119:11 ESV)

The writer here says something very interesting, namely that he 'stored up' God's word in his heart so that he 'might not sin'. This is a very frank and to-the-point word about our sanctification. In our struggle against sin, as we strive for holiness, the psalmist offers a very practical approach. How do I stop sinning? By guarding my heart according to God's word. How do I do that? By storing it - hiding it, memorizing it - in our hearts!

I will leave you with this short video by John Piper, and I hope you are encouraged to memorize more scripture, not just for getting better at Bible trivia, but to keep our way pure.


1 comment: